Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Being attracted to this cute rolled sponge cake, I made one for our family's dessert. By the way, the filling on the picture isn't visible cause I used a light colored pineapple jam. Hehe..
This is a recipe from TESDA.
For the FLOUR MIXTURE:
1 c. + 2 T. Cake flour
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
4 egg yoks
For the MERINGUE:
4 egg whites
1/4 c. Sugar(white sugar)
1 tsp. Cream of tartar
1. Sift flour and baking powder for three times.
2. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add sequentially egg yolks, the water and lastly the sugar. Mix with a wooden spoon for 150 strokes or until it gains a smooth texture.
Create the Meringue:
3. Combine egg white and cream of tartar in a non-greased large bowl. Beat until foamy. While beating, gradually add sugar until stiff but not dry peaks are obtained.
Combine the Flour mixture with the Meringue:
4. Pour the flour mixture
into streams over the meringue's surface. Cut and fold gently while turning the bowl around to blend well.
5. Line a jelly roll pan/baking sheet w/ wax paper and pour the mixture into it. Bake for 45-60 minutes in a preheated 350 F oven until toothpick inserted at the center has few crumbs or comes out clean.
6. Sprinkle a clean dish towel with sugar. Turn out the baked cake on the towel and take off the wax paper.
7. Spread the cake with enough of your favorite jam. Roll up gently using the towel.
In case, no jam is available, you can use this filling recipe:
3/4 c. Evaporated milk
3/4 c. Sugar
1 bar butter
Soften the butter and gradually pour in the sugar while mixing. Slowly add the milk until the sugar is mixed properly with the butter.
If you dont want to use a dish towel, you can dust the wax paper in step 5 with sugar
before pouring in the cake mixture. Bake. Without turning the cake over, spread it with your jam and roll.
Yey! that's all. Seems like I'm gradually improving my baking skills. However, I am becoming forgetful that I haven't placed the cream of tartar on the egg whites at the right time. Well this is my downside on baking. Hehe.. I must improve my memory.